Dr Iain Collings
Deputy Chief - Research
CSIRO Computational Informatics Division, Sydney, Australia
CSIRO CCI Division
Cnr Vimiera and Pembroke Roads
Marsfield, NSW 2122, Australia
PO Box 76, EPPING NSW 1710 Australia
Telephone: +61 2 9372 4120
Mobile: 0409 782 294
Fax: +61 2 9372 4411
I am the Deputy Chief of a Division of over 460 staff and have over 20 years experience in research and development. I have demonstrated skills in strategic science leadership and planning, cross-disciplinary innovation, partnership excellence, development of world class teams delivering impact, project management, stakeholder engagement, change management, process improvement, business development and commercialisation.
My main area of technical expertise is in the design, analysis and implementation of digital communication systems. This includes transmitter and receiver designs for future generation cellular mobile systems; wireless LAN systems; broadband DSL systems; and ad-hoc and sensor networks. I have also worked on radar signal processing, noisy signal detection, general automatic classification problems, and software radios.
Iain was born in Melbourne, Australia. He received the B.E. degree with first class honours in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Melbourne in 1992, and the Ph.D. degree in Systems Engineering from the Australian National University in 1995. Prior to his current position as Research Director and OCE Science Leader of the Wireless and Networking Technologies Laboratory at the CSIRO ICT Centre, Iain was an Associate Professor at the University of Sydney (1999-Aug 2005), a Lecturer at the University of Melbourne (1996-1999), and a Research Fellow in the Australian Cooperative Research Centre for Sensor Signal and Information Processing (1995).
- Wireless transmission: MIMO and MU-MIMO systems design; Relaying; Synchronization.
- Cellular systems: Multiuser receiver design; Interference rejection; Adaptive beamforming.
- Cross-layer optimization: Hybrid ARQ; Adaptive resource allocation.
- Ad-hoc networks: Relay systems; Cognitive radio; Sensor Networks.
- Hardware implementations at CSIRO: Radio nodes, 4x4 MIMO Demonstrator (600 Mbps, 40 MHz BW, 15 bps/Hz), FPGA farm
- Over 260 refereed journal and conference papers.
- A full list is provided on my publications page.
- ISI Citations: 1109; h-index: 18 (as of February 2014). Click here for more up to date data
- Google Scholar Citations: 2933; h-index: 29 (as of February 2014). Click here for more up to date data
Current Associated Positions & Memberships
- Adjunct Professor, University of Sydney, 2011-current.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Queensland, 2009-current.
- Adjunct Professor, Macquarie University, 2009-current.
- Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE).
- Industrial Liaison Co-Chair of IEEE Communications Society Technical Committee on Cognitive Networks (TCCN), 2011-current.
- Member of the IEEE Communications Society Technical Committee on Communications Theory, 2002-current.
- Member of the IEEE Communications Society Technical Committee on Radio Communications, 2007-current.
- Member of the IEEE Communications Society Technical Committee on Wireless Communications, 2007-current.
- Member of Engineers Australia.
- Member of the Australasian Association of Engineering Education.
Awards - General
- IREE Neville Thiele Award for Outstanding Achievement in Engineering, 2009; presented by the ITEE College of Engineers Australia.
- AusCTW Service Award 2009, for 10 years of service to the Australian Communication Theory Workshop.
- National Engineering Excellence Award 2012 (Project Team), Innovations and Inventions Category; awarded by Engineers Australia.
- Divisional Engineering Excellence Award 2012 (Project Team), Research and Development Category; awarded by Sydney Division of Engineers Australia.
- CSIRO Chairman's Medal 2012 (Project Team).
- CSIRO Look Out!!! Award 2007 (Project Team); awarded under the CSIRO Corporate Strategic Awards Program.
- CSIRO ICT Centre Leadership Award 2008 & 2009.
- CSIRO ICT Centre Publication Achievement Award: 2005/06, 2006/07, 2007/08, 2008/09, 2009/10 & 2010/11.
- CSIRO ICT Centre Inventors Award 2009, 2010 & 2011.
- Dean’s Award for Service 2002; awarded by the Dean of Engineering, University of Sydney.
- Award for Excellence in Teaching (Academic) 2001; awarded by the Univ. of Sydney Elec. & Info. Eng. Foundation.
Awards - Best Paper
- The IEEE Communications Society Stephen O. Rice Prize 2011
- Given annually to "the best original paper published in the IEEE Transactions on Communications in the previous 3 calendar years"
- Best Paper Prize, The IEEE International Conference on Global Communications (GLOBECOM), Miami, USA, 2010
- Best Paper Prize, The Australian Conference on Wireless Broadband and Ultra Wideband Communications (AusWireless), Sydney, Australia, 2007
- Best Student Paper Prize, The IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Toulouse, France, 2006
- Best Student Paper Prize, The IEEE International Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC) - Spring, Melbourne, Australia, 2006
- Awarded 3 Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Grants, 1 ARC Large Grant, 3 ARC Small Grants, and 3 University Research Grants.
- Supervised to completion 15 PhD students (5 jointly), 4 Masters by research students, and 4 Masters by coursework (project).
- Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 2002-2008.
- Editorial Board member for the Elsevier Physical Communication Journal (PHYCOM), 2008-2012.
- Guest Editor for the EURASIP Journal on Advanced Signal Processing, Special Issue on Advanced Signal Processing for Digital Subscriber Lines, 2005.
- Technical Program Committee (TPC) Leadership:
- Co-Chair, IEEE Int. Conf. on Communications (ICC), Budapest, Hungary, 2013.
- Co-Chair, IEEE Int. Vehicular Technology Conf. (VTC Spring), Budapest, Hungary, 2011.
- Vice Chair, IEEE Int. Wireless Communications and Networking Conf. (WCNC), Sydney, Australia, 2010.
- Co-Chair, Int. Symp. on Communications and Information Technologies (ISCIT), Sydney, Australia, 2007.
- Vice Chair, IEEE Int. Vehicular Technology Conf. (VTC Spring), Melbourne, Australia, 2006.
- TPC memberships:
- IEEE Int. Global Comm. Conf. (GLOBECOM), Wireless Comms. Symposium (WCS), Hawaii, USA, 2009.
- IEEE Int. Conf. on Communications (ICC), Wireless Comms. Symposium (WCS), Dresden, Germany, 2009.
- IEEE Int. Vehicular Technology Conf. (VTC Spring), Barcelona, Spain, 2009.
- IEEE Int. Global Comm. Conf. (GLOBECOM), Wireless Comms. Symposium (WCS), New Orleans, USA, 2008.
- IEEE Int. Conf. on Communications (ICC), Wireless Comms. Symposium (WCS), Beijing, China, 2008.
- IEEE Int. Conf. on Communications (ICC), Wireless Comms. Symposium (WCS), Seoul, Korea, 2005.
- IEEE Int. Symp. on Spread Spectrum Tech. & Applic. (ISSSTA), Sydney, Australia, Sept. 2004.
- IEEE Int. Vehicular Technology Conf. (VTC Fall), Orlando, USA, 2003.
- IEEE Int. Global Comm. Conf. (GLOBECOM), Comm. Th. Mini-Conf., Taipei, Taiwan, Dec. 2002.
- International Program Committee memberships:
- Int. Conf. on Comm. Systems & Networks (CSN), Spain, 2004-08.
- Int. Conf. on Wireless and Optical Communications (WOC), Montreal, Canada, 2008.
- Steering Committee Memberships:
- Australian Communication Theory Workshop (AusCTW); Adelaide 2007, Christchurch NZ 2008, Sydney 2009, Canberra 2010, Melbourne 2011, Wellington 2012.
- Organizing Committee memberships:
- Industrial Liaison Co-Chair, IEEE Communications Theory Workshop (CTW), Hawaii, USA, May 2012.
- Exhibitions Chair, IEEE Int. Symp. on Spread Spectrum Techniques and Applications (ISSSTA), Sydney, Australia, Sept. 2004.
- Local Arrangements Chair, IEEE Info. Theory Workshop, Cairns, Australia, Sept. 2001.
- Founding Organizer, Australian Communication Theory Workshop (AusCTW); Sydney 2000, Adelaide 2001, Canberra 2002, Melbourne 2003, Newcastle 2004, Brisbane 2005, Perth 2006, Sydney 2009.
- Reviewer for several journals including IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, IEEE Trans. on Communications, IEEE Trans. on Wireless Comms., and IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing.
- Chair of the IEEE NSW Joint Communications & Signal Processing Chapter, 2008-2010.
- Secretary of the IEEE NSW Section, 2010.
- Chair of the Faculty Board (elected position), Faculty of Engineering, University of Sydney 2002.
- Member of the Dean's Advisory Board, Faculty of Engineering, University of Sydney, 2002.